New York City is a mecca for foodies like myself who love to try new foods from different cultures across the globe. With over 25,000 restaurants in the city that never sleeps, I have found quite a few restaurants that serve my favorite cuisine – Indian. If you love Indian food as much as I do, or are just looking to expand your taste buds, check out one (or all) of my top 10 favorite Indian restaurants in NYC.
10. Saravana Bhavan – Offers traditional South Indian food, much like the homemade dishes that my grandmother made from Andhra Pradesh.
Location: 413 Amsterdam Ave in Manhattan
Hari’s Pick: Onion Rava Masala Dosa
9. Dhaba – The name of the restaurant is a play on the word that is commonly known for being a roadside eatery that serves Punjabi food preferred by truck drivers. A fine dining establishment that offers Punjabi specialties and a buffet.
Location: 108 Lexington Ave
Hari’s Pick: Tandoori Chicken
8. Indikitch (Deep Indian Kitchen) – Often referred to as the ‘Chipotle of Indian Food.’ Offers fast-casual food to eat in or take out.
Locations: 1190 6th Ave & 940 8th Ave
Hari’s Pick: Katti Rolls
7. Swagat – Located in the Upper West Side of Manhattan and offers a small and intimate dining experience. They have a tasty and creative wine and spirit collection.
Location: 205 W 29th St.
Hari’s Pick: Trying a new cocktail each time
Locations: 1724 2nd Ave & 329 3rd Ave
Hari’s Pick: Biryani
5. Pippali – Offers a diverse menu of curries, seafood, and authentic Indian cuisine classics. Another intimate dining experience to play on their bold flavors.
Location: 129 E 27th St
Hari’s Pick: Bhindi Masala and Okra
4. Tamarind Tribeca – The definition of fine dining Indian cuisine in NYC. Owned by Avtar Walia, this restaurant has earned a very prestigious Michelin Star and offers dishes from the Indian state of Rajasthan.
Location: 99 Hudson St
Hari’s Pick: Anything on the executive lunch menu
3. aRoqa – Offers contemporary Indian food that pays homage to traditional Indian flavors but presented in an artistic and creative fashion. The atmosphere of the restaurant is spirited and energized.
Location: 206 9th Ave
Hari’s Pick: Habanero Chicken Tikka & Butternut Squash Ke Kofte
2. Junoon – Named after the Indian word for ‘passion’ which is clearly portrayed in every meal prepared by executive chef Akshay Bharadwaj. They offer 3 different dining rooms to appeal to every patron’s desired atmosphere.
Location: 27 W 24th St
Hari’s Pick: Naan bread served to me in the Patiala Room
1.Baar Baar – An Indian Gastro Bar that offers a modern twist fused with rustic elements to present contemporary Indian dishes. Owner Payal Sharma and executive Chef Sujan offer a menu with options for everyone.
Location: 13 E 1st St
Hari’s Pick: Paneer Pinwheel for dinner with a Hyderabad cocktail from their extensive and delicious list of options, finished with a carrot halwa cake for dessert